Career Readiness in Immersion Schools Internship: Early Childhood Internship
Washington Yu Ying PCS’ CRIS (Career Readiness in Immersion Schools Internship)
Internship Overview: C.R.I.S Interns at Washington Yu Ying are part of a one week intensive internship program to expose soon-to-be graduates to the rigors of the teaching profession in a diverse, public school. With this internship, future teachers will develop the key skill sets for what is needed to teach within a unique and challenging environment of language immersion schools. This intership will concentrate on early childhood (Pre K 3-1st grade).
The C.R.I.S internship program at Washington Yu Ying PCS will provide pre-service immersion teachers with an opportunity to learn more about the field of immersion education by observing immersion classrooms, attend seminars on language learning, creating a positive learning environment and other workshops pertinent to successful immersion practices, attending team curriculum planning meetings, and opportunities to practice teaching with observation and feedback.
At the end of the week participants will have the opportunity to apply to join Yu Ying in the Teaching Fellow Program for the following school year.
This internship will focus on immersion techniques and language learning. Participants will learn and observe grade level team meetings, will have opportunities for small group teaching, and will receive career counseling.
Selected Interns will experience:
- Classroom experience in immersion settings
- Grade level planning meetings
- Workshop with curriculum experts on language learning, inquiry based teaching, special education, classroom management and creating supportive learning environments
- Mini courses on child development, reflective practice, creating authentic relationships with students.
- 1:1 career counseling with HR on resume building and interview skills
- To learn how to be career ready for a profession in education by preparing your portfolio and message as a candidate
Washington Yu Ying is a loving community with strong cultural values. Over the years, we have become one of the best elementary school in DC under the guidance of these values, therefore, we are always looking for community members who embrace and celebrate our cultural values:
- Nurturing - We enjoy a caring, family-like atmosphere, where community members know we support each other.
- Collaborative - We value working together to support students and each other.
- Innovative - We develop creative and effective solutions to help us succeed.
- Rigorous - We have high expectations for our students, staff and families.
- Diverse - We are a community intentionally focused on our different backgrounds, cultures and experiences
To help you get the most out of this internship opportunity, we are looking for someone with the following attributes:
- Commitment to meet the needs of every child in our diverse population
- Capability to nurture students and work collaboratively with families
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work and collaborate as a member of a team
- Interest in professional learning, growth through quality feedback, and initiative in challenging own understandings
- Commitment to develop and contribute to a community of educators
- Flexibility, dedication, and enthusiasm
- Interest in language learning and other cultures.
- Commitment to building authentic relationships with students, families and other staff members
- Proactively seeking out guidance or help from colleagues, coordinators, and/or managers
- Actively engaging input and feedback from others who have different backgrounds, cultures, and experiences
- Demonstrating respect and appreciation for others with different backgrounds, cultures, and experiences
This internship is only open to graduates within their last year of school who will graduate in the spring or summer of 2020. Each participant may have the option of being hosted by a local Yu Ying DC family.
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
I’m interested! What can I expect as part of the interview process?
We understand that you are busy, we’ve also taken feedback from past interns to design a transparent interview process with keys stages. We will let you know the status of your candidacy at each stage of the process. Now is a great time to put these dates in your calendar if you would like to apply.
STAGE 1 - January 15th, 2020 at 12:00 pm EST - Application opens
-Application closes January 31st, 2020 at 5:00 pm
-Completed Internship Application
-Person Statement: one to two page personal statement that answers these following questions:
- Reasons for wanting to be part of the Career Readiness in Immersion Schools (C.R.I.S) Internship Program: Tell us why you’re interested in this internship at Washington Yu Ying PCS. Write about what you like about being a future teacher, how your interest developed, and how this internship would help you towards achieving your long-term career goals.
- Why you’re suitable: Tell us why you want the opportunity to learn about the field of immersion education
- How your experiences relate to Yu Ying’s cultural values
Note: please tailor your application form with a resume and personal statement
STAGE 2- February 7th, 2020 at 4 pm EST -Candidates will find out if they’re advancing to a phone interview
STAGE 3 - January 31st, 2020-February 7th, 2020 - A 20-minute phonte interview with Audrey d’Assignies (HR Manager) or Renee Zhang (HR Business Associate)
STAGE 4 - February 14th, 2020 Offer will be made (If applicable)
Time of internship:
Week One: March 16th, 2020-March 20th, 2020. Interns are required to be at Yu Ying by 5:00 pm on March 15th, 2020.
Please note: This internship is unpaid and Yu Ying does not pay for transportation to and from site of internship.