Civil Design Engineer
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #54 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT is seeking a Design Engineer in our Special Projects section who will be responsible for using knowledge of general engineering principles and practices to interpret, organize, execute and coordinate assignments to complete engineering designs. Sponsorship not available for this position.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform alternative studies and design for roadway and civil/site projects
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects
- Perform design computations
- Design projects in accordance with client specifications and guidelines, using design software and drawing tools
- Assist in the preparation of engineering documents for advertisement and construction, including roadway and civil/site plans
- Develop construction cost estimates
- Develop technical reports and studies
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and established quality standards
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced team environment
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related course work to Civil/Site and/or Roadway/Highway Engineering from ABET accredited engineering program
- Engineer-in-training certification
- 2 – 4 years related (transportation engineering, highways or roadways, site development, utilities) experience outside of coursework
- Basic experience in CAD (i.e. Microstation, AutoCAD, OpenRoads, InRoads, and Geopak) preferred
- Experience working with local clients at the county and state level preferred
Work is performed within a general office environment 95% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment. Some travel to work sites is required. Some lifting (up to 25 lbs.) may be required as needed.
- Analytical Thinking /Problem Solving
- Creativity and Innovation
- Job Proficiency
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer Male/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.