Clinical Research Database Analyst / 40 hours / days / BWH Dermatology
The Department of Dermatology, Brigham and Women’s Hospital is looking for a programmer to provide database and programming support for clinical and research databases that both exist and are to be developed. Working under the very general direction of the research administrator, principle investigators, and clinical medical directors, the incumbent develops and maintains complex databases for specific clinical utilizations, and broad based research studies on skin diseases, skin cancer and cost of care. Develops data collection tools for multiple studies and ensures regulatory compliance of all data collection. Manages day to day operations of data collection and storage.
Database Development – 65%
- Develops and maintains complex epidemiological databases for numerous clinical and research projects, including broad based epidemiological studies on skin disease including cancer. Databases will be designed using a number of application tools, including MS Access, RedCap, VBA, and SQL. Databases will be for clinical use, specific research projects with specific endpoints, and for use in future as yet undefined research projects requiring different approaches to data integration.
- Employs technical engineering skills to develop and manage VB front end and SQL back end database applications for department management and clinic use.
- Develops specific on-line, web-based survey tools and assists with analysis of survey data for the study.
- Integrates databases with tissue bank repositories so that tissue samples may be matched to data points in the database.
- Designs and develops individual databases, including assessing and defining user needs in order to create database solution.
- Extracts data from existing sources, such as RPDR and creates databases utilizing that data. Performs any data cleaning required.
- Post Development – 35%
- Monitors databases for quality assurance purposes. Performs quality control and testing of applications and reports
- Converts database into SAS data sets to implement statistical analyses. Writes SAS programs to clean data, generate descriptive statistics, and produce reports and tables.
- Configures Information Management systems as required either as part of an implementation or on on-going basis. Programming changes to integrate with existing systems.
- Troubleshoots production issues and implementing solutions accordingly
- Manages access to secure data sets.
- Tracks data use agreements and ensures compliance with the terms of said agreements.
- Develops policies and procedures for study data collection. Oversees data collection and data entry from multiple sites.
- Trains appropriate staff on data entry. Develop and maintain all training and support documentation. Assists in orientation and training of graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, clinical support staff, and other personnel as needed.
- Develops and execute customized queries and database filters/sort routines to support Department requirements for research resources, management analysis, personnel management and other reports as required (e.g., Department Annual Report, Department Review Resource Document)
- Respond to queries from research team members and collaborators for data or reports from center registries.
- Archives data as required by study, data use agreement, or other policy outlining archival requirements.
- May be required to perform data entry, data analysis, creation of data collection forms as needed.
- Master's level of education with a research or analytical concentration is preferred.
- A college degree with a concentration in computer science or similar field is required.
- 3+ years of relevant research experience in analysis of complex datasets and database management required.
- MS Access VBA, SQL experience is required.
- Experience with REDCap and/or Epic preferred.
- Knowledge of medical and analytical terminology useful.
- 1-year experience with Web Based Information Management applications.
- Experience testing web based applications; Knowledge of SQL and Java required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential; Must be able to collect and translate requirements into a set of system requirements to create functional documents and code