The special event program at Great Lakes Aquarium is one of several unique entry points for guests. Community members celebrate and gather at the Aquarium for weddings, reunions, birthdays, meetings and holiday parties. Each of these events is a way for the Aquarium to connect people with water and wildlife of Lake Superior and beyond. The person plays a vital role in making these connections.
The events coordinator is responsible for nurturing and coordinating events on-site at Great Lakes Aquarium. This work includes actively marketing event spaces, following up on leads and inquiries, developing event plans and contracts, securing necessary staff and supplies for each event, serving as the event liaison and overseeing the event logistics. As part of this position, the individual will work with the Communications Director and other support staff to market facility rentals and recruit event leads. An organized, detail oriented and communicative individual will be successful in this position.
The person in this role will be responsible for the training, supervision, and administrative duties related to staffing and implementing facility rentals, maintaining consistent standards of exceptional service throughout. The individual will also provide input into operating budgets, policies, and procedures.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The individual must be able to work a flexible schedule to include weekends, evenings and holidays.
Special Events Coordination -- 50%
- Identify the client’s requirements and expectations for each event. Conduct walk through and tours for events opportunities. Communicate regularly with event host prior to ensure common vision and plan for executing the event.
- Liaise with vendors, exhibitors, and stakeholders during the event planning process to ensure everything is in order.
- Work closely with the Guest Services manager to direct event staff, which may include: hiring, firing, performance evaluation, training, work allocation, and problem resolution.
- Keep Guest Services staff informed about day-to-day and special events at the Aquarium so they can make appropriate adjustments to Guest Services operations to accommodate those needs.
- Manage and oversee events on the day of, including problem-solving, welcoming guests, directing event set-up, communicating with staff, organizing vendors, and managing take-down.
- Oversee internal bar service, including safety and quality, vendor relations, inventory, and security.
- Work closely with the finance director to issue invoices and contracts, collect payments in a timely manner, and create comprehensive and readable reports.
Sales/Marketing -- 25%
- Conduct market research and gather information to grow facility rentals.
- Articulately propose ideas to improve services and event quality.
- Conduct pre- and post-event evaluations and analyze the outcomes.
- Manage budget consisting of staff hours and supplies relevant to events and facility rentals.
- Use various aquarium systems for email, calendaring, etc.
Other duties as assigned—5%
- Participate in staff training
- Participate in various Aquarium-wide committees and meetings as applicable
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Individual must have working knowledge of PCs and software applications including Microsoft Office Suite and the internet. Knowledge of Gather software preferred. The individual must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and have the ability to analyze and solve problems effectively. In addition, the individual must have ability to work in a team environment or individually with minimal to moderate supervision. A background check (performed by Great Lakes Aquarium staff) is required for an individual working in this position.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
The applicant should have at least two years of customer service experience. The applicant should also have a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in business or communications, OR 3 years customer service experience; management of customer service or events preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS and/or WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is a physically active position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will regularly be required to set up folding tables, chairs, and decorations. Typically, the employee will be located on the aquarium exhibit galleries, meeting rooms and in an office environment. The employee will be required to be alternatively stationary and active for long periods of time on a concrete floor. Events may last from 1-8 hours. This individual will occasionally utilize step stools, 6 foot ladders, and a scissor lift for hanging decorations. The individual is regularly required to communicate with event staff and guests. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.
Great Lakes Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer. Great Lakes Aquarium shall provide equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Great Lakes Aquarium aims to be a supportive community for all people. If you are a job seeker with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to apply for this position, please connect with our Access and Inclusion Coordinator, Samantha at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-740-2003.