Research Assistant II / 40 Hours / Day / BWH Dept. of Surgery
Working very independently and under very general supervision from a manager or Principal Investigator, provides support to clinical research studies. May be responsible for the following activities: making independent judgment of suitability of potential subjects for clinical trials, developing and implementing patient recruitment strategies, recommending changes to protocols, and overseeing the work of more entry level staff.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates the implementation, both internally and externally, of sponsored clinical research studies.
- Initiates and maintains contact with study participants. Responsible for screening applicants, ensuring they meet appropriate criteria, and makes independent judgment as to the suitability of their participation. May be required to perform clinical tests such as phlebotomy, EKGs, etc.
- Working in concert with Principal Investigator and/or Research Manager or designee, develops and implements subject recruitment strategies.
- Develops, organizes, and/or maintains the study database. Responsible for data validation and quality control.
- Interacts with subjects with regard to study, including patient education, procedural instruction, follow-up. May serve as a liaison between subject and physician.
- In conjunction with Research Manager/Principal Investigator, develops and implements new research protocols including design, data collection systems and institutional review board approval.
- Recommends changes to research protocols.
- Performs literature searches, as appropriate.
- Assists PI or Research Manager with preparation for presentation and written published articles.
- Assists with regulatory documentation as directed by project manager.
- Responsible for training and orienting new staff. May serve as a team leader or in a supervisory capacity in a smaller area.
- All other duties as assigned.
- B.S. or B.A.
- At least one year of work experience in a research setting. Sound independent judgment and competence in research methodologies.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required for working with the study participants.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Analytical skills and the ability to resolve technical or research problems and issues and to interpret the acceptability of data results.
- Knowledge of clinical research protocols.
- High degree of computer literacy.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize a variety of tasks.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and respect for subjects rights and individual needs.
- Knowledge of data management programs.