INTERN, BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT (BID) PROGRAM
The Neighborhood Development Division is seeking a dynamic intern to support the team that oversees and supports all 76 Business Improvement Districts in New York City. The intern will have the opportunity to work across the team and gain experience in program management, non-profit governance, BID development, marketing, and data analysis. Previous interest and experience in these areas is a plus. This internship would ideally run through spring 2020, with the possibility of extension.
Responsibilities may include:
• Support development of external-facing, marketing collateral for the NYC BID program
• Research BID-relevant legislation from other cities and countries and historic BID legislation in NYC
• Review and draft templates for non-profit governance and compliance
• Complete data entry and analysis for SBS’ annual BID trends report
• Coordinate with other divisions of SBS and City agencies regarding outreach to BIDs
• Track BID reporting and communicate with BID network regarding deadlines
• Attend off-site, community meetings on behalf of SBS
Other tasks may be assigned depending on interest and capacity.
• Ability to coordinate and manage multiple tasks and projects and provide timely and clear updates to supervisors;
• Experience analyzing and visualizing data
• Experience creating promotional and marketing items; graphic design skills are a plus
• Experience and established interest in community nonprofits, community-based planning and organizing, and local economic and neighborhood development issues;
• Familiarity with New York City commercial districts and neighborhoods, and/or working with local small business communities;
• Established interest in program management and administration
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and Adobe Creative Suite.
The Department of Small Business Services and the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
1. Student obtaining a baccalaureate or post baccalaureate degree from an accredited college.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter including the following subject line: BID Program Winter/Spring Intern to: firstname.lastname@example.org
City Employees: Apply through Employee Self Service (ESS) at www.nyc.gov/ess search for Job ID: 416560
All Other Applicants: Go to www.nyc.gov/careers search for Job ID:
Salary: $15.50 (undergrad) - $17.90 (grad) per hour
NYC residency is required within 90 days of appointment
If you do not have access to email, mail your cover letter & resume to:
NYC Department of Small Business Services
Human Resources Unit
One Liberty Plaza, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10006