Summer/Coop Student Engineers or Geoscientists
BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. Currently there are over 450 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, accountants, administrators, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally and work with fantastic teams. BGC offers you the potential to work on technically challenging projects alongside industry leaders, within a social environment that encourages a healthy work-life balance.
BGC is looking for highly motivated students in Civil (Geotechnical) or Geological Engineering, Geoscience, Geology, or a related field whom can rise to a challenge in a team environment. The ideal candidate will have at least 3 years of undergraduate course work completed, may have previous relevant work experience, and a desire to travel and work in remote conditions.
Projects that Junior Engineers/Geoscientists and Students may work on include:
- Geotechnical investigations or construction monitoring at mine sites for the design of mining works including: open pits, underground excavations, tailings facilities, access roads, and building foundations. On-going projects are located in Canada, US, Chile, and the Dominican Republic.
- Mine reclamation activities, particularly in northern regions and Alberta’s oil-sands, which may include constructed wetlands, soft tailings capping, and alternative tailings management technologies.
- Investigations for pipeline geohazards including desktop and field terrain assessments, geotechnical site investigations and air photo interpretation.
- Geotechnical construction monitoring (CQA/CQC) for new pipeline projects in North America, including foundation inspection, oversight of material placement and design conformance.
- Geohazard, geotechnical and hydrotechnical assessments for various power, transportation and municipal projects across North and South America, ranging in scope from preliminary hazard inventories or scoping studies through to detailed design and construction of mitigation works.
- Field and office-based surface and groundwater assessments for environmental baseline studies, water supply projects, design of remediation works, water balance studies or geohazard risk assessments.
- Geomatics or software development aspects of applied earth science projects.
These projects will include field work which may consist of drilling, sampling, mapping, and other geological testing. Extended field trips (three to four weeks in duration) may be required.
Preferred Fundamental Knowledge
- Environmental Engineering
- Engineering Geology
- Soil Mechanics
- Rock Mechanics
- Technical Writing
- Field Mapping
- Air Photo Interpretation
- MS Office skills
- Enrolled in a degree program or recent graduate
- Excellent written, presentation and oral communications
- A second language is an asset
To apply, please go to: