Iowa State Fair Blue Ribbon Foundation Internships
The Iowa State Fair Blue Ribbon Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization located on the Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines. The mission of the Blue Ribbon Foundation is to conduct major capital campaigns for the renovation and preservation of the historic Iowa State Fairgrounds. Since its inception in 1993, the Blue Ribbon Foundation has generated $165 million for the Fairgrounds.
The Iowa State Fair Blue Ribbon Foundation has openings for two spring semester/summer internships and two summer internships. This is not your typical internship. Each intern will be a true member of the Blue Ribbon Foundation team, having significant responsibility for integral Foundation programs with the goal of making sure committed donors have a strong and lasting relationship with the Iowa State Fair. The four internship positions are outlined below.
- Public Relations: Publicize and coordinate the Iowan of the Day program. Promote other events with various communication materials.
- Donor Relations: Coordinate special events, donor communications and correspondence with the corporate sector.
- Volunteer Relations: Schedule and manage more than 600 volunteers for events.
- Sponsor Relations: Assist with sponsorship planning process, including marketing, communications and hospitality. Develop informational materials and maintain sponsor profiles. Oversee the logistics of the wholesale water program.
In addition to individual internship tasks, selected candidates will be responsible for assisting with a variety of social media and marketing initiatives. General office duties include phone calls and email inquiries from potential donors, as well as database administration. Other internship projects will be assigned based on selected candidates’ skill sets. Those projects can include: organization of fundraising auction, designing merchandise and other event materials.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Moderate proficiency in Microsoft Word & Excel, with the ability to become adept at the use of these and other computer programs, such as the Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to work independently and professionally in a dynamic work environment.
- Self-starter with a solid work ethic.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Professional, responsible and team-oriented manner.
- The Spring Semester/Summer interns must be available approximately 8-12 hours per week during the spring semester (starting in late March) and 40 hours per week early-May through late August.
- The Summer interns must be available 40 hours per week early-May through late August.
- There are extended working hours July 6 – July 11 (for fundraising event) and starting August 1 for the 2021 Iowa State Fair.
Please send a cover letter, resume, three references and two writing samples to the address below by November 30, 2020. Design samples are encouraged, but not mandatory. All applicants will be required to complete a short writing and skills assessment before being offered the position.
Iowa State Fair Blue Ribbon Foundation
Attn: Drew Sniezek
P.O. Box 57130
Des Moines, IA 50317
515-262-3111 x 375