Accessibility Assistant Description
Please read this description and our application for employment carefully, as applicants that do not follow the instructions, submit incomplete applications, or turn applications in late will not be considered.
*Applicant MUST submit both a resume and the Office of Accessibility’s application for employment.*
Position Summary: The Accessibility Assistant assists the Program Assistant with everyday operations of the front office, as well as works individually with students to help provide services. The Office of Accessibility seeks to create an environment in which student employees (Accessibility Assistants) can learn valuable skills and knowledge that they will utilize in both day-to-day office operations, and in their future careers.
The Office of Accessibility is currently seeking to hire one additional Accessibility Assistant (Student Assistant) that will be able to work 10-15 hours per week. Our ideal candidate would also be available to work during fall 2019, spring 2020, and summer 2020, and would continue to work in the Office of Accessibility until their graduation from The University of Akron.
Supervision: Program Assistant
· Customer Service: Provide quality customer service for parents, students and campus community in a timely manner using all resources to assist client’s questions
· Administrative Duties: Responsible for answering phones, filing, copying and recording confidential files in absence of Program Assistant
· Student Service: One-on-one interaction with students with disabilities as a reader and/or scribe
· Student Service: Train and support students with disabilities on adaptive technology and software
· Student Service: Process alternative format requests and convert textbooks to alternative media
· Recruitment: Assist Notetaking Coordinator with recruitment of notetakers
· Learn about the application of the Americans with Disabilities Act in higher education
Qualifications or Requirements: Please list knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to fulfill the position.
- Must have 2.7 cumulative GPA and be enrolled in courses at UA for the semester in which you are applying
- Experience using Microsoft Office
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Responsible, conscientious, and reliable
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of the office
- Ability to provide polite and friendly customer service and display a positive attitude
- Ability to work in a team setting, and make valuable contributions to team efforts
- Strong willingness to learn new things, particularly regarding computers and customer service
- Previous experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred, but not required
Please refrain from contacting the Office of Accessibility after submitting an application. A staff member from the Office of Accessibility will contact you if we would like to conduct an interview.
*Accepting applications through end of business (5PM) on Thursday, October 17th, 2019. Candidates being offered an interview will be contacted on or before Friday, October 18th, 2019.*