Accounting Intern (Summer 2020)
Support and assist with various projects as assigned within the Company’s Finance and Accounting Department. These projects will be assigned consistent with the Company’s Internship Program with an emphasis on developing an understanding of the Company’s multiple business units and enhancing the intern’s ability to apply his/her accounting education in a business environment.
PAY: $17.00 per hour (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Corporate Accounting Senior Manager
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Comply with and perform duties within Company policies and procedures.
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the Company and to enhance the image of the Finance and Accounting Department.
- Provide support to other departments as scheduled by the Director – Assistant Corporate Controller or other management staff.
- Assist all levels of management and staff in interpreting the information you produce.
- Prepare reports for other areas of the Finance and Accounting Department or other departments. Ensure that information is accurate and presented in a useful and understandable manner. Respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Assist with journal entries, account reconciliations, reports and accounting close.
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
- Compile and analyze data and document project progress or outcome.
- Validate and distribute financial information as requested.
- Accurately and timely respond to inquiries.
- Keep project lead informed on the status of work.
- Present ideas for improving efficiency of duties.
- Support and assist the Director - Assistant Corporate Controller and other staff in meeting deadlines and goals.
- College student close to graduation working toward a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree with an emphasis in Accounting or Finance or recent graduate with an Accounting or Finance degree.
- No experience required.
- Basic knowledge of business and accounting procedures and methods.
- Basic knowledge of automated accounting and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to perform accounting duties of basic to average difficulty.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations.
- Attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate with employees and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business, employee and applicant information.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: reach, push/pull, ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. The employee may occasionally (less than 33%) be required to reach. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. No travel is required for this role.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2800 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Benefits: 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution)
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an EEO Employer.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically.