Head of Cellular Physiology and Perturbations Group
Who we are:
Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to understand the biology of aging, and to help people to lead longer and healthier lives. We aim to combine the best biomedical science with cutting edge technology and computing.
Calico is seeking a scientist to lead a new team focused on functional genomics and cellular physiology. This team will combine genome engineering, fluorescent reporters, genome-scale CRISPR libraries and high-content phenotyping of a diverse range of mammalian cell cultures (from cancer lines to primary cells to iPSCs and derivatives thereof).
In this role, you will collaborate with life scientists, data scientists, machine learning engineers and hardware engineers to tackle a variety of biological problems. Your primary responsibility will be to develop and deploy high content phenotyping and perturbation methods at scale. This role will require integration of rapidly evolving functional genomics tools with robotics, microscopy, and high-throughput sequencing. The ideal candidate has a broad technical background that will enable effective collaboration between life scientists, data scientists, machine learning engineers and hardware engineers.
To succeed in this role, you will need to be self-motivated, collaborative and enthusiastic about technology.
- Ph.D. degree in molecular, cell or systems biology
- A completed postdoc or four years of relevant experience in high-content screening, quantitative live cell imaging and/or CRISPR screening
- Track record of productivity and effective collaboration
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-pace environment with shifting priorities
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail, time management and organization skills are a must
Additional desired experience:
- iPSC and organoid culture
- Lab automation
- Project management