Transportation Engineer 1 - Two positions
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is seeking talented engineers to fill multiple Transportation Engineer 1 positions in Spokane, WA. Your work will be within a dynamic Design/Construction engineering office and will be pivotal in meeting the goals of this agency. These positions will provide support activities for construction, design, Design-Build contract development and administration, and PS&E phases of WSDOT projects. These activities are critical to project completion. If you are ready to jump into the engineering world using your education in Civil or Structural Engineering, we welcome you to apply for this entry-level engineering position.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace.
To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
These positions may perform the following work:
- Assist with project designs, Design-Builder contract procurement documents, and review complex engineering plans, reports, estimates, and contracts.
- Assist in administering Design-Build contracts, which includes researching and responding to questions from Design-Builders and WSDOT staff.
- Assist in monitoring of progress of Design-Build; review documentation and determine if the work meets contract requirements.
- Assist in inspection of construction activities, as well as materials testing.
- Serve as a Project Inspector on small-scale highway construction projects.
- Serve as a member of the survey crew assisting with location and construction surveying.
- Assist the Office Engineer with documentation as needed.
- Interpret highway construction plans, specifications, and special provisions in monitoring the contractor's work.
- Take field notes, calculate quantities, and complete daily inspector reports.
- Utilize personal computers for CAD and other design software, and office software (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Communicate verbally and in writing with contractors, designers, other team members, support offices, and the public.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required qualifications include:
- A Bachelor's degree in Civil/Structural Engineering OR Certification as an Engineer-in-Training OR a Land Surveyor's license.
- Current certificate of completion of Western Alliance for Quality Transportation Construction (WAQTC) qualified tester or the ability to obtain within 24 months of hire.
- Solid understanding of engineering principles and mathematical formulas.
- The ability to read, interpret, understand, and apply information in WSDOT manuals.
- The ability to prepare and check calculations and field note records.
- The ability to utilize a personal computers for CAD and other design software, and office software (Word, Excel, etc.).
- The ability to operate survey equipment.
- The ability to traverse uneven terrain in all weather conditions.
- The ability to transport, manipulate, and move into positon materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Strong communication skills both in the written and verbal form.
- Ability to operate a motorized vehicle and maintain a valid unrestricted driver's license.
- The ability to work nights, weekends, holidays, perform stand-by and to work out of town for extended periods.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. To be considered for this position, please include the following to your online application:
- Attach a resume outlining your experience to date.
- Attach a cover letter detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role.
- A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies. This can be included within the application in the reference section.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Rachel Giese at 360-905-2223 or email to GieseR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-ER-60899m.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.