Lab Manager Research Technician (Clinical and Basic Research)
Massachusetts General Hospital
Cancer Center and Center for Regenerative Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Job Title: Research Technician. Two-year commitment strongly preferred.
Looking for a highly motivated individual to join a research program in Multiple Myeloma with the intent of understanding the interaction of the myeloma tumor cells and microenvironment. This position is ideal for candidates interested in working at the interface of clinical and basic research. The group consists of clinicians and basic scientists working in Multiple Myeloma. The group is committed to providing ample opportunities for scientific growth, interacting in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment, and training in a variety of experimental approaches.
Employing Department and Institution: Cancer Center/Center for Regenerative Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital.
The candidate is expected to independently carry out the daily activities of the laboratory, which include:
- Collecting patient samples for tissue bank.
- Mouse colony genotyping.
- Responsibilities for a wide range of techniques including cell culture, animal procedures, and monitoring, molecular biology, RNA work.
- Assisting lab personnel with routine experiments.
- Documenting, compiling, and analyzing information obtained from laboratory experiments.
- Systematic generation and maintenance of database/inventory of all lab supplies, lab records, and mouse colony. Maintain compliance with safety, biohazard, and radioactivity guidelines. Communicates and coordinates with all lab members to ensure adherence to lab protocols.
- Training of new lab members in various techniques.
Minimum degree and field of knowledge: B.S. in Biology or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1 year of experience in a research laboratory (at least one year of related full-time lab experience is preferred). Prior experience with mice is preferred.
- Must be highly motivated and organized, prudent in time management, and capable of juggling multiple tasks and competing priorities.
- Must be very comfortable working with mice.
- Quick to learn new skills on the job and work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff and with external contacts in a fast-paced environment. Must be a team player.
- Critical thinking skills and attention to detail are required.