Communications Intern - Summer 2019
General Summary of Internship:
The intern will balance short- and long-term projects. Day-to-day work will include –
· Organizing briefings for Chicago-area interns about MacArthur’s work;
· Researching and drafting briefs and stories for the Foundation’s website about the work of our grantees;
· Identifying and summarizing media coverage;
· Helping to plan and staff public events;
· Researching media outlets and building media lists; and
· Other responsibilities, as directed.
Longer-term projects vary; past examples included –
· Researching news coverage of MacArthur Fellows and other MacArthur grantees;
· Researching annual reports of other foundations and nonprofits; and
· Examining how other foundations and nonprofits use social media.
The internship is designed to be a substantive learning experience, so the intern will join Communications team meetings and staff events and attend in-house briefings by grantees, staff, and other practitioners.
The internship is not focused on any one social issue or grantmaking generally. It will be of great value to those candidates interested in communications, especially as a tool for social change.
Successful candidates will have a demonstrated interest in communications, journalism, public relations, new media, and/or public affairs. Strong written and oral communication skills, outstanding organizational abilities, and attention to detail are essential. Experience with social media, photography, or video is a plus.