Student Intern (Project Inspector) - City of Hays (Summer 2019)
This internship is offered through the FHSU/Dane G. Hansen Student Internship Program.
The City of Hays is seeking a student intern (project inspector) for Summer 2019. The student will work approximately 240 total hours for the internship. The City of Hays and the student together will arrange a full-time or part-time work schedule. The start and end dates listed in this post are flexible.
The student intern will work at the employer's place of business but be paid through Fort Hays State University.
Under the supervision of the Project Inspector and Project Manager, the Project Inspector Intern will conduct routine inspections of public improvement projects including earthwork, pavements, pavement restoration, water and sewer lines, manholes, storm drains, curbs, gutters, waterways, etc. Most specifically, the Project Inspector Intern will assist in the oversight and documentation of the reconstruction of portions of Ash Street, 4th Street, and Elm Street in the vicinity of Fort Hays State University.
· Review plans and specifications for capital improvement projects.
· Assist in the performance of inspection of construction sites and materials relating to water mains, sanitary sewers, storm drains, street construction and rehabilitation, and sidewalks.
· Assist in the inspection of projects for compliance with local and State stormwater regulations.
· Attend pre-construction conference meetings and project meetings.
· Observe and document contractor work and safety practices.
· Assist in coordination of project work with others.
· Prepare detailed daily activity and progress reports and assist in preparing as-built drawings.
· Coordinate with the materials testing consultant for compliance to specifications related to earthwork, aggregates, asphalt, concrete, etc.
· Compiles information; verifies quantities, checks computations, lay-outs, and grades.
· Assist in disseminating incoming and outgoing correspondence with project engineers, consulting engineers and contractors.
· Participate in discussions with City staff, contractors and engineers.
· Perform filing and maintenance of records.
· Perform other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
The student intern will primarily assist in the construction oversight and inspection of the reconstruction of Ash Street from Elm to 4th, 4th Street from Ash to Elm, and Elm Street from 4th to 6th Street. The intern will accompany and be under the direct supervision of the City Project Inspector; basically, being a second set of eyes on the job site, taking notes and pictures to document daily construction activities. The intern may also assist with other projects under construction within the City of Hays during the period of internship.
The intern will be provided initial safety training and provided personal protective equipment for use on the job site. While not a requirement of the job, the intern will receive on-the-job exposure to material testing and construction best management practices.
The learning outcomes/experiences expected include: project workflow, owner/contractor working relationships, project management, problem solving, work progress documentation skills, and heavy civil construction practices.
Experience: No previous experience is required; however, a valid Driver’s License is required.
Education: Some college credit in a technical or construction related field is preferred.
Technical Skills: Some knowledge of the methods, construction materials, practices, codes, and techniques involved in the construction of public works projects is preferred. Some knowledge of ADA access requirements as they pertain to public improvements is preferred. This employee must be able to operate computers and general office equipment. The ability to prepare written documents, understand and interpret reports and written instructions is required.