Middle School Teacher (Leave Replacement)
DREAM Charter School, a rigorous, K-10 public charter school in East Harlem, is seeking a dynamic and engaging educator to serve as a Middle School Teacher (Leave Replacement). DREAM Charter School's mission is to prepare students for high-performing high schools, colleges and beyond through a rigorous academic program that develops critical thinkers who demonstrate a love of learning, strong character, and a commitment to wellness and active citizenship.
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as Harlem RBI). DREAM serves over 1,700 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time. DREAM was recently recognized as one of the Best 50 Non-Profits to Work For in the country by The Nonprofit Times.
Like all DREAM employees, the Middle School ELA Teacher should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and DREAM Charter School and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Teaching and Planning
- Implement a rigorous common core aligned curriculum through backwards planning;
- Assume responsibility for academic progress within classroom and beyond;
- Abide by school-wide protocols for documenting all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics, etc.;
- Collect and analyze assessment data and daily data to best inform instruction;
- Lead remediation and extension blocks, as well as advisory, and homeroom classes;
- Revise curriculum and teaching methods based on measurable data and observation feedback.
- Set and maintain high expectations for 100% of the scholars, 100% of the time
- Work with Student Support Team to create individual behavior plans for select students;
- Abide by school-wide practices for behavior management and individual behavior plans;
- Take ownership over the classroom management with the mentality of “How can I improve my implementation of our systems, while always assuming the best in my scholars?”
School Culture Responsibilities
- Work with Middle School team to analyze data, revise practices, norm on team-wide initiatives, and discuss individual scholars with a solutions-oriented mindset;
- Create systems for students for that exhibit exceptional effort and growth, both academically and behaviorally;
- Regularly communicate scholars’ progress towards goals with families;
- Attend and be an active participant in all professional development (school-wide or team-based) opportunities;
- Take part in weekly one-on-one feedback meetings with coach to discuss observation feedback, practice pedagogical strategies, analyze data and/or refine curriculum.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or higher preferred;
- Appropriate New York State certification required;
- At least two years of teaching experience strongly preferred;
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families and community;
- A commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students, including those at risk of educational failure;
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
Compensation: DREAM salary is highly competitive with the New York City Department of Education and other charter schools, and is based on experience and qualifications. All DREAM teachers receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.