Tax Examiners conduct audits of tax returns utilizing multiple computer systems to ensure compliance with federal and state tax laws, while providing quality service to all customers within the Individual Income Tax Family.
- Conduct routine audits of individual income tax returns. Make decisions to determine appropriate action for outstanding discrepancies or issues.
- Provide customer service to taxpayers, their representatives, and internal customers by telephone, e-mail, correspondence, and in-person interviews.
- Effectively research and communicate information regarding interpretation and application of various tax laws, technical/delinquent tax, or account adjustments.
- Acquire, apply, and maintain tax law knowledge necessary to become proficient in performing duties, utilizing tax laws, rules, regulations, agency established procedures, policy documents, etc.
- Obtain and maintain knowledge of multiple computer systems.
- Recognize and understand the interaction between various systems and the impact for tax areas and/or taxpayers.
- Interpret and analyze system data to perform necessary updates and adjustments to taxpayer accounts.
- Make recommendations and monitor system enhancements based on law changes, form changes, and to improve efficiency and accuracy.
- The incumbent will work, in a training mode, with on-the-job instructors to gain proficiency.
Apply online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sc/jobs/2303375/tax-examiner
Minimum and Additional Requirements
- An associate's degree and experience in a business or tax related area.
- A bachelor's degree with multiple accounting courses may be substituted for the work experience.
College transcripts are required. The transcripts may be attached to the application, faxed to 803-896-0023, or emailed to Employment.SCDOR@dor.sc.gov.
Academic degrees must be from an accredited institution of higher learning.
Bachelor's degree in a business related field with finance, accounting, and/or business related courses. Working knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping principles and practices. Ability to communicate effectively with the public and fellow employees. Basic knowledge of SC tax laws, forms, and on-line computer tax systems. Must exhibit proficiency in the use of computer applications.
- SCDOR employees are required to comply with all SCDOR tax requirements and are subject to a National Criminal Background Check to include fingerprinting.
- It is the policy of the Department of Revenue to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including, but not limited to, lactation.