2019 Data Analytics Summer Intern
We will be accepting applications until Friday, January 11 at 3 p.m. EST.
Please note that this internship is paid. Only candidates who apply on our website will be considered.
The New York Times is committed to producing the world’s most reliable and highest quality journalism. Our ability to do so relies on a talented team of expert analysts who help NYT learn from a tremendous abundance of data unique to this company. The Times seeks a Data Analyst Intern to join our growing Data & Insight Group, which is responsible for data analytics, data science and data engineering for all New York Times offerings, including the newspaper and NYTimes.com.
Specific projects will vary but overall responsibilities include:
- Liaise with internal business and newsroom stakeholders to understand their objectives, challenges and opportunities.
- Use exploratory analysis to deeply understand the New York Times audience and their behavior across platforms
- Use observation and analysis to recommend iterative improvements to NYT products and services
- Partner with product managers on the end-to-end process of test design, implementation and analysis
- Design, build and automate dashboards or other means of democratizing data
- Influence internal stakeholders at all levels of the organization to take action based on insights generated to seize business opportunities
- Document and communicate findings and insights to stakeholders across the company
- Current enrollment in a BS/BA in computer science, applied mathematics, or other quantitative/computational discipline, with expected graduation within the next 18 months
- Experience in manipulating and analyzing large structured or unstructured datasets (experience in SQL and Google Sheets/Excel preferred)
- Additional coding experience - Python preferred
- Ability to communicate complex analytics to relevant audiences
- Understanding of applying multivariate statistics, including logistic regression modeling, to business problems or market research
- Experience with website or media analytics a plus.
- Commitment to the The Times’ mission of delivering the world’s best and most reliable journalism.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- A passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment.
- Proven record of solving challenging problems
- Eagerness to collaborate with both technical and non-technical colleagues across business functions.
- Desire to join the world’s most important journalism company at a moment in history when the importance of learning from our data is transforming every aspect of the craft and practice of journalism.
Please provide GitHub or portfolio site if available.