Clinical Chemistry Technician II
The NC State Laboratory of Public Health is currently accepting applications for a Clinical Chemistry Technician II in the Newborn Screening Unit. This is a dynamic position that provides testing services to detect potentially life threatening disorders that require early intervention to improve health outcomes in newborn babies.
This newly created position is assigned to the Tandem Mass Spectrometry Laboratory (MSMS) of the Newborn Screening Unit of the State Laboratory of Public Health. The primary purpose of this laboratory is to perform biochemical analyses of dried blood spot specimens to detect Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorders, Organic Acid Disorders, Amino Acid Disorders and Lysosomal Storage Disorders in newborns.
The Clinical Chemistry Technician II has pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical and general responsibilities related to testing, reporting, and ensuring the accuracy and validity of test results.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing specimens and mass spectrometers for highly complex LC-MS/MS procedures while following proper standard and universal precautions on newborn clinical specimens.
- Preparing reagents in a precise manner according to standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Performing routine instrument maintenance and ensuring the proper operation and documentation of equipment
- Assisting with writing and periodically revising technical standard operating procedures (SOPs) using CLSI guidelines
- Using Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to record, retrieve, and store lab testing results
- Maintaining quality control measures throughout all phases of testing
- Participating in proficiency testing and competency assessment programs
- Adhering to an established turn-around time (TAT) for test results and timely notifying supervisor of any delays in testing
- Assisting with validation or verification of new testing methodologies
- Participating in cross training in other areas of the Newborn Screening unit laboratories
- Collaborating with universities and research institutions on various data-mining and study projects to enhance testing program
Education Requirements: Bachelor's degree in one of the following fields: biology, chemistry, microbiology, biochemistry, clinical laboratory science, medical technology, etc. will be considered. We cannot accept candidates with degrees outside of these fields due to federal regulations for positions processing clinical specimens.
Job Location: 4312 District Drive, Raleigh NC 27607