Educational Consultant (Opportunity for graduating seniors and alumni)
Educational Consultant Opportunity
Elite Scholars of China (ESC) is looking for Educational Consultants to join our team.
ESC helps China’s most motivated students gain admission to and succeed at America’s best colleges.
As an Educational Consultant, you will serve as a mentor for top Chinese high school students, guiding them to develop English literacy and critical thinking, reading, and writing skills. Our consulting team offers two positions: Consultants for Senior Scholars (high school seniors) and Consultants for Junior Scholars (high school sophomores and juniors).
Consultants for Senior Scholars are paired with our high school seniors, guiding them through the American college application process. You will work one-on-one with Chinese students to brainstorm essay ideas, develop their writing ability, practice interview skills, build their college lists, and help them to identify and achieve their educational aspirations.
Consultants for Junior Scholars collaborate with our high school sophomores and juniors, helping them develop their extracurricular activities and academic interests, plan for standardized test preparation, and develop skills for personal goal setting and achievement. You will also be actively involved in curriculum development and classroom teaching focused on developing students’ literacy and critical thinking.
As a part of a rapidly growing organization, you will also experience the momentum and excitement of a start-up. At ESC, Educational Consultants play an integral role in developing the organization. Spring and summer months at ESC have an entrepreneurial feel as Educational Consultants work on projects that utilize their special talents or stretch them in new ways. Projects may involve marketing, curriculum development, IT, recruiting, and other strategic projects that help develop and improve ESC.
The Educational Consultant position is a two-year commitment. This time period allows for Consultants to fully utilize and benefit from the intensive training and professional investment that ESC makes in team members.
· BA or MA from a top American college/university and extensive writing experience
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Highly self-motivated and able to meet deadlines (Yeah, admissions deadlines!)
· Able to work well with students, build their confidence, and encourage their ideas
· Will uphold the values and high ethical standards of ESC
· Strong interest in education, and belief in the strength of mentorship
· Experience working with Chinese students or in the education field preferred, but not required
· Experience working in college admissions preferred, but not required
· Facility in Mandarin Chinese preferred, but not required
· Excited about a dynamic work environment and ability to work in a very collaborative manner
ESC employees enjoy a range of benefits including subsidized healthcare, a gym membership and other wellness programs. Customized leadership development workshops and professional mentoring is also a part of our culture. For team members moving to Beijing, ESC arranges and pays for a Chinese visa and travel to China. ESC also offers the assistance of a Relocation Expert to help with finding apartments. Salary is commensurate with experience.
About Elite Scholars of China
Elite Scholars of China (ESC) is the premier education consulting company in China and aims to educate China's top high school students about their undergraduate options in the United States. ESC offers high-quality college-counseling services, SAT, ACT and TOEFL test preparation, US college tours and educational workshops to China's academically accomplished high school students.
ESC students have been admitted to every top American college and university, including: Amherst, Brown, Caltech, Carleton, Colby, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, Emory, Harvard, Haverford, Middlebury, Northwestern, Princeton, Pomona, Stanford, Tufts, University of Chicago, University of Pennsylvania, University of California – Berkeley, Vassar, Wellesley, Wesleyan, Williams and Yale.
ESC was co-founded eight years ago and is managed by Stacy Palestrant (BA, Wellesley & MBA, Chicago Booth) and Tomer Rothschild (BA, Wesleyan & MBA, Wharton). ESC is based in Beijing – next door to the US Embassy.
At ESC, we have a very low turnover rate for our Educational Consultants. We prioritize the professional growth of our Educational Consultants, giving them opportunities to be challenged and develop expertise. Most Educational Consultants work at ESC for two–four years. After their tenure at ESC, Educational Consultants have gone on to do a variety of interesting endeavors – everything from graduate school to management consulting. Below is a partial list of the positions that our consultants have gone on to pursue:
· Policy analyst at a think tank in Washington, D.C.
· Principal at an international school in Hangzhou
· Management consultant at a NYC firm
· Graduate programs at Yale Law School, Harvard Law School, Harvard Business School, Yale School of Management, University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education, Columbia University Teacher’s College and Hopkins-Nanjing Center for Chinese and American Studies.
Our application period is from November 1st, 2018 through April 30th, 2019. We usually have a high volume of candidates who apply for a limited number of spaces. Due to the selectivity of the position, early application is encouraged.
Please send your cover letter, resume (GPA included) and transcripts through your school’s Career Portal (if possible), or direct any questions to our HR Director, Dorothy Ajayi at: email@example.com