Public Health Nurse
The Public Health Nurse provides skilled public health nursing services under the direction of the Public Health Administrator and / or their designee.
- Assess individual holistic needs, including psychological, social, environmental, nutritional, family, and personal.
- Assist individuals in maintaining / improving their health through health promotion and disease prevention services.
- Perform skilled nursing interventions including surveillance, investigation, case finding, creating / maintaining community partnerships, developing policies, procedures, and plans, outreach, referral and follow-up, case management, health education, counseling, consultation, screening and advocacy.
- Maintain patient records utilizing software applications, computer systems, and/or written notes according to program and best practice standards.
- Use critical thinking skills to coordinate appropriate care plans, and to direct critical interventions and / or referrals.
- Maintain a thorough and current knowledge of the principles and practices of public health nursing applicable to the areas of assessment, promotion and maintenance of the health of at-risk individuals, families, and the community.
- Maintain a thorough and current knowledge of standard, prenatal and infant health assessment practices, protocols and equipment.
- Coordinate epidemiological event responses, including foodborne illness outbreaks, to determine causes and corrective actions.
- Provide input at case conferences, evaluations, planning committees, and outreach activities.
- Complete activity / inspection / reports and enter into appropriate databases.
- Participate in peer review activities and evaluation of program effectiveness.
- Manage assigned grants and / or contracts, ensure that objectives and deliverables are met, and reports are completed on time / resubmit grant applications.
- Have working knowledge of the Division’s budget.
- Collaborate effectively with agency administration to provide services for community emergency intervention.
- Maintain a consistent and reliable attendance record.
Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Qualified applicants will possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Nursing from an accredited program. The accredited program shall include specific preparation in public health nursing or community health nursing. In addition, a minimum of two (2) years of employment in the field of nursing with demonstrated expertise in all requisite areas.
Additional consideration will be shown to candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Two (or more) years of relevant nursing experience.
- Bilingual proficiency (Spanish / English).
- Experience working with various racial and ethnic groups.
- Enhanced familiarity / experience with statistical theory / methods.
- Experience in public speaking with the ability to present data and other program materials in Microsoft PowerPoint.
The following are required of all applicants:
- Current State of Wisconsin Registered Nurse License, which must be maintained for the duration of employment.
- A valid Wisconsin driver’s license and reliable motor vehicle with mandatory levels of insurance coverage.
- Current CPR/AED/First Aid Certification, which must be maintained for the duration of employment or the ability to obtain such certification within six months of hire.
- Working knowledge of / initiate referrals to community health care providers, social service, and advocacy agencies, and the ability to effectively refer clients as needed.
- Knowledge of HIPAA compliance standards and all aspects of client privacy practices.
- Knowledge / experience evaluating health trends and risk factors of target populations.
- Ability to establish professional relationships with clients, peers, supervisors and community organization members.
- Personal initiative combined with the ability to work independently and interdependently.
- Substantial knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office 2007 or newer (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, and Publisher), desktop publishing, and the Internet.
- Previous experience working with large databases and preparing data for analysis.
- Ability to analyze data in Microsoft Excel and / or other applicable databases using established criteria to determine significance and assess outcomes. Must be able to compare, count, measure, copy, compute, tabulate, and categorize data.
- Ability to effectively acquire and utilize scientific / client data obtained from a variety of sources including patient records, lab reports, physician orders, maps, flow charts, and statistical reports.
- Ability to comprehend, utilize, and implement information from a variety of sources including personnel policies, employee performance evaluations, time study sheets, policy documents, nursing procedure manuals, medical textbooks, and computer software operating manuals.
- Proficient English Language skills including proper spelling, punctuation and grammar with the ability to pass all required skill tests.
- Effective oral and written communication skills at all levels of responsibility including clients and their families, physicians, local / state / and federal personnel, pharmacists, hospital and jail personnel.
- Ability to assist in the development, submission, and implementation of successful grant proposals.
- Ability to interpret, regulate, and enforce state, local, and federal laws, regulations, and rules.
- Ability to effectively train and coordinate activities of interns and visiting students.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Standing, walking, sitting, and stooping.
- Kneeling, crouching, climbing, balancing and bending/twisting.
- Reaching, lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling (up to 35 lbs.).
- Handling, grasping, fingering, filing, typing, and writing.
Office and a wide variety of indoor / outdoor community environments.
Effective utilization of computer workstations and associated equipment, copy center, fax machine, multi-line telephone system, cellular telephone, typewriter, flashlight, digital / video camera, audio / visual and miscellaneous office / medical / inspection / laboratory equipment.