Income Tax Site Manager (Intern or volunteer)
The Tax Site Manager works in partnership with the VITA Site Coordinator and Tax Assistant to support overall operations of VITA tax sites. Responsibilities include screening and appointment scheduling, set-up and take down of clinic sites in accordance with IRS VITA regulations, trouble-shooting and answering questions, reviewing tax-returns and following-up with rejected returns in a timely manner. Additional duties as necessary.
Benefits of Volunteering:
Become a certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (VITA)-Advanced Level. Gain real life experience preparing federal and state taxes and hands-on experience with a professional tax preparation software program, management skills, and professional networking. Knowledge that you are helping families thrive!
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Prepare, review, and submit state and federal tax returns using tax software
· Follow-up with rejected returns and customer concerns
· Support overall tax site operations by screening and scheduling appointments
· Provide excellent customer service
· Ability to help solve problems and answer volunteer questions
· Team-oriented, able to work cooperatively with staff and volunteers
· Ability to manage competing priorities and work under strict timelines
· Ability to abide by all confidentiality policies and procedures
· Other duties as assigned
Safety: Responsible for conducting all duties in a safe manner.
Affirmative Action: Responsible to follow affirmative action plan as set forth and signed by the Board of Directors.
Education & Experience:
· Must be at least 18 years of age
· Must possess or be pursuing two or four year degree in accounting, finance, or a related field OR two years professional experience in related field
· Able to pass the IRS tax-law certification at the Advanced Level (Training and coaching is provided to ensure success)
· High school diploma or GED is required
· Access to reliable transportation preferred
Abilities & Skills: In order to be successful in this position, the volunteer will at minimum need to possess the following abilities and skills:
· Excellent customer service skills and ability to discuss sensitive matters with empathy and respect
· Computer proficiency
· Ability to work independently and manage daily operations of tax clinic
· Must be comfortable interacting with people of diverse backgrounds, education, economic status, and culture
· Demonstrated ability to handle confidential information in a professional and discreet manner
· Fluency in English language (written and spoken). Bilingual in Hmong, Karen, Nepali, Somali, Spanish or another language desired
· Must successfully pass a criminal background check and provide references
· Ability to turn in timesheet on a monthly basis to the Volunteer Specialist
Normal office exertion required.
This position requires the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
Normal office environment
· Begin December 2019 or January 2020 and attend a 1-hour orientation
· 10-15 hours of IRS and Minnesota tax law training (provided in person or online)
· Complete training during December 2019 or January 2020
· Successful completion of IRS -tax law certification Advanced Level and tax site training (coaching available)
· Minimum 15 hours per week includes managing tax site and office hours, January 6th-April 16th, 2020.
Office is open for weekday daytime hours
· Flexible schedule available (if you need to take some time off). We may be able to accommodate J-Term delay
· View schedule below
Tax Clinic Schedule and Locations:
· 9am - 4pm Saturdays, St. Paul; 450 Syndicate St North, St Paul, MN 55104 (Office/Tax Site is located on the Green Line train route) Saturday is preferred
· 9am - 4pm Thursdays, Woodbury; 7645 Currell Blvd, Woodbury, MN 55125 (Washington County CDA office)
Advance Registration for College Students:
Yes, you can reserve this internship position by registering in advance. Example: be accepted for spring term by registering during fall term and meeting with us before you depart for break.
Complete an Ongoing Registration Form at www.caprw.org/take-action/volunteer and
email/scan resume & references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration will continue until all positions are filled or until January 17, 2020 - whichever occurs first.
Questions? Email or call 651-603-5979