The W.K. Kellogg Eye Center is home to the University of Michigan Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, which is part of the University of Michigan Medical School and the University of Michigan Health System. The Department of Ophthalmology was established in 1872. The Kellogg Eye Center is dedicated to enhancing quality of life by preserving and restoring vision. Our guiding principles are teamwork, caring, innovation and integrity.
In March 2010, the new 8-story Brehm Tower, a 230,000 sq. ft. addition to the Kellogg Eye Center, opened with 9 eye clinics, 6 operating rooms, and new suites for refractive surgery and cosmetic surgery.
Supporting services include genetic counseling, ophthalmic photography, diagnostic electrophysiological testing, and ocular prosthetics. A library, optical shop, and café are also on site. Our 24 research laboratories are located in the new building and in the adjoining research tower.
The Kellogg Eye Center has community clinics in: Ann Arbor, Brighton, Canton, Chelsea, Grand Blanc, Milford, Northville, West Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti.
The Veterans Affairs Hospital is a 105-bed acute care facility. The newly remodeled VA Ophthalmology Clinic has 17 exam lanes, a laser room, a procedure room, an optical shop, a check-in area, and a physician room. Residents and faculty who staff this clinic conducted 22,196 patient visits and performed 1,342 surgical procedures last year.